Saturday 18 April 2020

Two Fathers





When I was a small child my father thought it would be a good thing to give me a moral education, so every Sunday morning he sent me off to Sunday School at the local village Church of England school, which was different to the State School I attended. There were a lot of Catholics in our area. They were almost always of Irish background taking advantage of the plentiful new rented housing on offer through the New Town system intended to answer the housing shortage after the Second World War, as did everyone else. If you had a job in the area you were offered a life time tenancy of a decent home. Things were very egalitarian then. Some of the Catholic families were naturally bigger so they were allocated the three story six bedroomed houses. Our house was just two stories with three bedrooms. Because it was a new town with young families there were a lot of children living on the estate. The catholic children went to a different school to us but outside school we played together in a friendly and harmonious way. The different schools were never questioned, it wasn't important.

At Sunday school we were taught about Jesus, God, the Bible and to be kind to people, not to steal, or tell lies; all good stuff. We were little children and learnt by mindless repetition; a cynic might say it was indoctrination but it was just what people did and thought then. We had to march round the room singing children's religious songs and at the end of the march we had to put small change into a collection box which we were told was going to poorer children overseas. My dad always gave me a three penny bit for this. I once won the prize of a book about Christmas because of good attendance.

We were told to pray every night by our beds with our hands together to our Heavenly Father in heaven. So I did just that; I wanted to be a good child for my parents and for Sunday School. OK. So I had a Father in heaven. They told me this, so it must be right. But hang on – I also had a physical father here in my home, my Dad. So logically I must have two Fathers, one in heaven and one on Earth. That made sense. After a few years of Sunday School, I was praying before going to bed, and my Dad came in to say goodnight. So I told him Dad, I have two Fathers, my Father in Heaven and you my Father on Earth. He looked at me in a strange and puzzled way; oh OK, he said, yes, yes and he left the room. After a few weeks I didn't go to Sunday School any more and we did other things as a family. I heard him later talking to our catholic neighbour that he had stopped me going to Sunday School; it was good to send your child to learn right from wrong, but I was becoming too religious and that that was a bad thing.

15 comments:

  1. I remember it as very strange too. Attended when I was a bit older than you. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents didn't agree on religion and Christianity, but I was very interested to know more. I always wanted to know MORE about everything and couldn't understand why my parents argued about this. Eventually there was a sweet older man who gave classes while I was in high-school. I begged to go and learn more about it. I loved the teacher, he was so very kind and had a beautiful voice. He told stories and we sang songs. Ten months later he died and I was very sad ... we never got a new teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it. You have some stories to tell yourself! Perhaps you should.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful �� as a child I was brought up Catholic (Grandfather was a deacon). I now practice kindness and compassion where possible. Who knows if it was my childhood teachings? Somehow I doubt it. I believe religion is there to help us understand right from wrong......eventually to go on finding our own moral compass and to share as much kindness as we can ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your comment Tammy.I think my dad was just trying to do this too, in his own way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoy your writing style. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to subscribe to your blogs, Ms Confessions, as they looked interesting but you did not have a "follow" button installed.

      Delete
  8. Love this story and your writing style. Short Stories are great. I want more, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to write more but I am lazy! I get up too late. I have just started my book Tom and Sallie if you are interested, Kacey, its on my blog pae, and I also have your book winking at me from the bookshelf! Tom and Sallie will probably end up as a story of domestic abuse. (Not even a story)

      Delete